Governor’s Mansion Museum
|Location||621 S. Marshall Ave., Marshall, Michigan|
|Coordinates||42°15′54″N 84°57′16″WCoordinates: 42°15′54″N 84°57′16″W|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||75000939|
|Added to NRHP||January 8, 1975|
The Governor’s Mansion at 621 S. Marshall Ave. in Marshall, Michigan is a historic house built in 1839 with elements of Greek Revival architecture. It is also known as Governor’s Mansion Museum. It was built with expectation that Marshall would become the State Capitol of Michigan. In 2017, the house is a museum owned and operated by the Mary Marshall Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution.
The house was built for James Wright Gordon, who actually became acting governor of Michigan in 1841. Gordon had purchased the land, across from where the Capitol was proposed to be built. It has been referred to as the “Governor’s Mansion” since its erection in 1839.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). “National Register Information System”. National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- “Governor’s Mansion Museum”. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Richard Carver. “Marshall, Michigan: Governor’s Mansion Museum”. Retrieved March 11, 2017. (excerpted from “A History of Marshall”)
- Marshall’s Governor’s Mansion Museum – Facebook site
- Governor’s Mansion – visiting information
- Governor’s Mansion Museum – History
Source: Wikipedia (used with permission) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor’s_Mansion_(Marshall%2C_Michigan)